Today I removed 3 barrow loads of Verbena bonariensis from just one border. Now there’s plenty of potential to plant new plants. We’ve dug over some of the area, although it was extremely hard work, the ground is still very, very dry in spite of all the rain we’ve had in the last few days. Next we added several barrows of compost which will gradually work its way into the hard clay soil. Now I have decisions to make about what plants to add. I may increase the number of Erigeron ‘Dignity’ which flowers for ages, and I might plant some marigolds in front of them. I like the idea of orange and purple together. There are already some Iris sibirica in this border and, again, I will probably add in some more. It might be a mistake but I am thinking of adding some Carex dipsacea which will be in keeping with the orange/purple theme, my hesitancy is due to the fact that they do self seed rather a lot and I do get annoyed at all the self-seeding plants I already have everywhere.
I can think about all this for a day or so because tomorrow looks as if it will be wet all day.